Saturday 19 January 2013

Louise Bird - Hyperbolic Spiral Crotchet

Louise Bird - Hyperbolic Spiral Crotchet
August 2008

Artists Statement.
`The Universe cannot be read until we have learned the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is written. `

Galileo Galilei.
The strange and poetical language of popular science inspires the titles and concepts of my work. Contemporary scientists are using extreme research methods, apparently without financial or physical boundaries to try to define the nature of their findings. As an artist, I find their enthusiasm contagious and am inspired by their mysterious and fabulous theories.

I attempt to express the ideals of grace, beauty and purity that both the arts and the sciences share. Using creativity as a common language, my work examines the dissipating boundaries, and increasing spirituality, between the two subjects.
The titles of these pieces are actual scientific terms, used in mathematics and quantum physics. With a little irony they define the methodical and complicated processes used to make each piece of my work. In each piece, I try to express my feelings about the complex nature of our universe.

Through my practice, I am examining the relationship between the invisibly small and the unimaginably huge. Researching popular science leaves me with a sense of amusement, wonderment and awe.












No comments:

Post a Comment